The Kinestema Program by Andrés Marín is based on a multisensory approach that utilizes different senses to facilitate student learning. Research findings demonstrate that multisensory strategies are effective in improving learning, particularly in the realm of literacy. The studies analyzed in this section support the hypothesis that multisensory learning is more effective than unisensory or bisensory learning.
The research of Slavin and Cheung (2003) together with the meta-analysis of Claessens and Harlaar (2008), support the view of Shams and Seitz (2008) on the efficacy of multisensory versus unisensory or bisensory learning. All of them found that multisensory instruction significantly improved the reading skills of students with learning difficulties.
Shams and Seitz argue that multisensory learning is more beneficial because it is more similar to how we experience the world and activates the brain’s multisensory learning mechanisms. According to these authors, training protocols that utilize unisensory stimuli may not be optimal for learning. Instead, they contend that training protocols incorporating multisensory stimuli can better replicate natural environments and are more effective for learning.
Kuo and Anderson (2010) examined the impact of multisensory instruction on learning the meanings of words. They found that multisensory instruction significantly improved students' ability to learn and remember new words, concluding that it is an effective strategy for enhancing word learning. On the other hand, DeClercq et al. (2011) conducted a meta-analysis of 16 studies that assessed the impact of multisensory instruction on reading skills in children with dyslexia. The authors found that multisensory instruction significantly improved reading abilities in children with dyslexia, compared to those who received unisensory or bisensory instruction. Overall, they concluded that multisensory instruction is an effective strategy for improving reading skills in children with dyslexia.
To highlight the idea, Syahputri (2018) designed an experimental study with seventh-grade and second-year high school students in Indonesia and found that the multisensory teaching method had a significant positive effect on students' reading achievement. The multisensory teaching method accounted for 82% of the change in students' reading achievement, while the remaining 18% was influenced by other factors. The pretest and posttest results showed that students who received the multisensory teaching method performed better on reading comprehension tests than students who received traditional instruction.
To conclude, I would like to cite a literature review by Gómez and López (2020) where they explored how multisensory teaching can optimize literacy learning. The authors examined various studies and found that multisensory teaching improved reading comprehension, spelling, and handwriting. Additionally, the authors concluded that students who received multisensory instruction also improved their ability to identify and manipulate language sounds. Overall, they concluded that multisensory teaching is an effective strategy for literacy learning.
Claessens, A., & Harlaar, N. (2008). The effects of multisensory instruction on the reading comprehension of children with learning disabilities: A meta-analysis. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 41(2), 143-161.
DeClercq, N., Van Keer, H., & Desoete, A. (2011). The effects of multisensory instruction on the reading skills of children with dyslexia: A meta-analysis. Dyslexia, 17(4), 331-344.
Gómez, A., & López, M. (2020). La enseñanza multisensorial en el aprendizaje de la lectoescritura: una revisión de la literatura. Aula de Innovación Educativa, 247, 60-65.
Kuo, L.-J., & Anderson, R. C. (2010). The effect of multisensory instruction on the learning of word meanings. Reading Research Quarterly, 45(2), 389-404. https://doi.org/10.1002/rrq.67
Shams L, Seitz AR. Benefits of multisensory learning. Trends Cogn Sci. 2008 Nov;12(11):411-7. doi: 10.1016/j.tics.2008.07.006. PMID: 18805039.
Slavin, R. E., & Cheung, A. (2003). Effective reading instruction for students with learning disabilities: A best-evidence synthesis. Review of Educational Research, 73(1), 447-484.
Syahputri, D. (2018). The Effect of Multisensory Teaching Method on The Students' Reading Achievement. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 8(11), 1-4.